ECB Corporate Affairs and Marketing Committee chairman Des Wilson said after their December meeting on Tuesday they had noted Zimbabwe's withdrawal from the Commonwealth and would review plans for October's tour at their meeting on February 25.
"We are determined that any decision with respect to our tour is taken by ourselves for the right reasons and at the right time," said Wilson.
Zimbabwe's withdrawal from the Commonwealth will not prevent them playing the Champions Trophy in England next September, but England may pull out of the Test series in Zimbabwe scheduled for the following month.
After England's failure to honour their commitment to play at the World Cup in Harare, ECB chairman David Morgan told the Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) that if the security conditions were right, England would tour Zimbabwe next October.
As a result of this assurance Zimbabwe toured England last summer.
But the position of the ECB has hardened since then, with board saying that before a decision can be made they would have to consult the government, players and sponsors.