हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Thatscricket - News - Atapattu investigation not completed: ICC

Published: Friday, January 16, 2004, 15:19 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London:The International Cricket Council (ICC) dismissed reports from Sri Lanka suggesting the investigation into the discovery of money found in a room that had been occupied by Sri Lanka batsmen Marvan Atapattu had been completed.

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said that he had written to Sri Lanka Cricket to establish if it had issued any media statement suggesting the matter, concerning 1.1 million rupees (24,300 dollars), had been concluded as has been reported.

"If, as has been reported, Sri Lanka Cricket issued a statement suggesting that this matter has been finalised, I would be concerned," said Speed.

"Not only is it inaccurate to make this suggestion, it is also inappropriate for a Board to usurp the role of the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) which is an independent body that makes its own judgment about these issues and reports to the ICC.

"This is not an area that is within the jurisdiction of an individual Board. If any Board made inappropriate or inaccurate comments about the work of the ACSU I would take the matter up directly with the Board involved.

"As far as the inquiry is concerned, Marvan is a widely respected and senior player and it is important that this matter is thoroughly investigated to establish the full factual situation of what has taken place.

"What can be said with certainty at this stage is that the investigation is on-going and that the ACSU is continuing with its inquiries in order to establish these facts. I hope this matter will be resolved quickly."

Extras
Atapattu in the soup for match-fixing
afp.com

Write Comments