|Home -> News -> Report|
|'Cricketers are not going to Pak for war'|
Saturday, February 14 2004 18:19 Hrs (IST)
Describing the decision of the Government in giving the green signal for the tour as 'cricket friendly' BCCI chief, Jagmohan Dalmiya said, "We want the tour to start in the first week of March as originally scheduled."
When asked about the security concerns of the players, the BCCI president said, "they (the cricketers) are not going there for war, but to play cricket. If somebody is not comfortable, he will not be forced to go."
Dalmiya, however, made it clear that none of the players had so far made any such request to the BCCI.
On whether he would speak to the players on the security issue, the BCCI chief said, "If this is required, then I'll definitely speak to the players. I've to do this if I've to remain BCCI president."
"If somebody doesn't want to go, he does not go. Someone else will go. These (players) are the trusted lieutenants of the country."
When a scribe asked him to spell out the BCCI's stand in case some senior players were reluctant customers for the tour, Dalmiya said, "In a team, there is no major, junior or senior player. On the field, all are of same status. It's an XI member team," he said.
BCCI prepares for Pak tour following Govt nod