Odumbe plans to appeal against ban

Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Nairobi: Former Kenyan captain Maurice Odumbe,who has been banned for five years by the Kenyan Cricket Association (KCA) for taking bribe from an Indian bookmaker, is planning to appeal against the ruling.Odumbe's suspension follows last month's hearing into the affair by the International Cricket Council's (ICC) anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU) conducted by former Zimbabwean Supreme Court judge Ahmed Ibrahim.

The ICC had confirmed that it had received a copy of the Ebrahim report that recommended a five-year ban on Odumbe after a hearing into charges that "he had received money, benefit or other reward which could bring him or the game of cricket into disrepute."

The recommendation was subsequently implemented by the KCA, which was supported by ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed.

But the former Kenyan captain said he was "shocked and surprised" by the decision and that he was planning to appeal against the suspension.

"We shall fight this, we shall fight it to the end," Odumbe's lawyer Ishan Kapila said at a press conference in Nairobi.

"And if there is any justice, we will win."

Write Comments