No change in SA team despite Lankan disaster

Published: Thursday, September 2, 2004, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Durban:Despite a highly disappointing cricket tour of Sri Lanka, South African authorities are not thinking of changing the team or the management for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy in England.

"There are times when we have good tours and bad tours. This was one of the bad tours. We are very disappointed, but we look forward to the team bouncing back at the Champions Trophy," United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) CEO, Gerald Majola said.

Manjola was speaking in an interview on the national SAFM Radio News after the return of the national team from Sri Lanka where they experienced a disastrous Test and One-day series.

While offering his full support to captain Graeme Smith and coach Eric Simons, Majola maintained that the team was a strong one and he did not think there was a need for any drastic changes.

Meanwhile, coach Simons said in Johannesburg that he was not considering resigning if the team does not improve during the ICC Champions Trophy.South Africa lost their first Test series to Sri Lanka 0-1 before being swept 0-5 in the One-day series.

"If there are no improvements in England then there will be changes made in the playing squad or the management," he added.

Simons said he believed the right squad had been chosen to tour Sri Lanka, but that they had not played to their full potential.

The South African squad will have four days off before they leave for England for the Champions Trophy on Sunday.

Write Comments