The fire reportedly started in the kitchen after a gas explosion and took more than 35 firemen with over 11 fire engines to douse it most of the night, Johannesburg Emergency Services spokesperson Steven Kirk said.
"There has been extensive damage to the club house. Only the main hall seems to have been saved," he said.
The offices of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, which is housed in the back of the club house, was not affected.
The Club house was established in the 1880s and was moved to its present site in the 1930s. It boasts of the Cricket stadium, gymnasium, tennis courts and an 18-hole golf course in its complex and has been a meeting place for the "high and mighty" of Johannesburg for decades.