Lehmann says CA did not support him in crisis

Published: Friday, October 22, 2004, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Sydney:Senior Australian batsman Darren Lehmann claims in a new book that Cricket Australia did not fully support him during the Sri Lankan race row incident last year.

Lehmann was banned for five One-day Internationals for comments he made as he left the field after being run out against Sri Lanka in a One-day International match in Brisbane on January 15 last year.

"I was also disappointed at the lack of support, certainly in the public arena, that I received from Cricket Australia," he wrote in his biography, Darren Lehmann, Worth the Wait.

"I am not for a second asking them to condone what I did but I thought as I was one of their employees they may have been able to state somewhere during the maelstrom engulfing me that I was a good person with a pretty good record over 15 years.

"They never said it was totally out of character, nor that I had cooperated fully with all the relevant people associated with the investigation and hearing.

"Anger built up in me as I got closer and closer to the rooms and once in there I exploded, in the worst possible way," he wrote.

"The two words I regrettably used were ... not something that I had said before and it certainly isn't something I have said since."

Lehmann said he now thought the matter was over after he had apologised verbally and by letter to the Sri Lankans -- who had heard his outburst -- and being reprimanded after that day's play by the West Indian match referee Clive Lloyd.

Write Comments