Pub bouncer faces court Hookes~~ death

Published: Monday, November 15, 2004, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Melbourne:A pub bouncer accused of killing former Australian Test cricket star David Hookes appeared in a Melbourne court charged with manslaughter, court officials said.

Zdravko Micevic, 22, of the Melbourne suburb of St Albans, is also charged with assault over Hookes' death on January 19.

Hookes, 48, died at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital after an incident near a hotel in the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda, during which he fell and hit his head on the ground.

Early proceedings at the committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday were largely taken up with legal arguments over whether photographs of Micevic could be published.

Micevic's lawyer Terry Forrest said his client had received numerous death threats, his family home had been burned down and his car vandalised, meaning publication of photographs was likely to make him more vulnerable.

Hookes played 23 Tests for Australia between 1977 and 1985 and went on to coach the Victoria state team.

Write Comments