BCCI approaches Prasar Bharati for Pak series

Published: Thursday, December 16, 2004, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi:Even as it is locked in a bitter legal battle with Zee Telefilms over telecast rights, the Indian cricket board has approached public broadcaster Prasar Bharati for the high-grosser India-Pakistan cricket series to be played in India next year.

"We have been aproached by the BCCI for the telecast of the India-Pakistan series which is slated for February-March next year," Prasar Bharati CEO K S Sarma told newspersons here today.

The public broadcaster has already received indirect benefit because of the spat involving Zee Telefilms, ESPN Star and BCCI as it managed to get telecast rights for 31 days, which included India's domestic test series against Australia and South Africa and a one-off ODI against Pakistan.

Required to pay the cricket board Rs 85 crore for this, the broadcaster managed to earn Rs 100 crore through ad revenues, pocketing Rs 15 crore in the process.

Sarma said the fresh offer was made last week. "An Empowered Committee has been formed to work on the proposal," he said, though refusing to divulge any further details on the matter.

India and Pakistan are slated to play three test matches and five one-dayers in the upcoming series.

Write Comments