Nayan Mongia announces retirement from cricket

Published: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 15:15 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Vadodara:Peeved at being dropped from the Baroda Ranji team, former Indian wicketkeeper Nayan Mongia yesterday (Dec 21, 2004) announced his retirement from the game.

Mongia, whose international career was stalled after he was named in the match fixing scandal in 2000, said he was prompted to quit the game after being ignored for selection in the Ranji team.

The former international said he had already decided to retire after the current Ranji season.

"I had arrived at my decision earlier, but the shocking decision prompted me to take the step, I have already written a letter to the Baroda Cricket Association on December 14 expressing my desire to retire from first class cricket."

The 35-year-old Mongia was dropped from the squad yesterday for the match against Tamil Nadu to be played here from December 22.

The player, whom many considered as one of the best wicketkeepers India had ever produced, played 44 Test matches since making his debut against Sri Lanka in Lucknow in 1993-94.

The player, who usually batted in the lower order but also opened the innings for India on a few occasions, scored 1442 runs in his Test career at an average of 24.03.

Batting as an opener he made his highest Test score, 152 against Australia in New Delhi in 1996. He effected 107 dismissals including eight stumpings.

Write Comments