Tuffey fined after being filmed in sexual act

Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Wellington:Dumped New Zealand opening bowler Daryl Tuffey has been fined for serious misconduct after being filmed by two English tourists in a sexual act with a woman, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) said.

Tuffey was fined 1,000 New Zealand dollars (740 US) Tuesday for breaching New Zealand Cricket's code of conduct in the November incident in Christchurch following an inquiry by lawyer Hugh Rennie.

Tuffey had engaged in conduct "with a sexual element" but not sexual intercourse with an unnamed woman at a home in Christchurch before realising they had been filmed with a digital camera for 20 to 30 seconds.

Rennie's report did not identify the people who made the recording but media reports have identified them as two young male British tourists who have since left New Zealand.

"He made a serious misjudgement in becoming involved, and a further error in not taking any action to have the recording destroyed," Rennie said in the report.

"However he did in the end take action, well before this inquiry arose."

Reports have said the video clip was shown to a number of people in Christchurch.

Early this year Tuffey encountered the British pair, was shown the video clip on the camera and deleted it himself, Rennie said.

Tuffey told Rennie the pair had not made a copy of the clip and there was no evidence of any copies. The incident came to NZC's notice this month.

As an international sportsman, Tuffey had a special place in society, Rennie said.

"It is clear to me that he has been personally distressed by his error of judgment and by its effect on persons who are close to him, and on the reputation of the sport which he has served with distinction."

Tuffey, 26, has played 22 Tests and 76 one-day internationals for New Zealand but was dropped after poor form during the recent one-day series against Australia.

His erratic performance culminated in a horror 14-ball first over in the third match in Auckland, which included four wides and four no-balls.

Read more about: news, thatscricketcom, wellington, march 15
Write Comments