हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Dalmiya says Ganguly may make fresh appeal

Published: Monday, April 18, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Kolkata:The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Jagmohan Dalmiya today (April 18, 2005) indicated that Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly may go for an appeal against the decision of International Cricket Council (ICC) appeal commissioner Michael Beloff on the 6-match ban slapped on him.

''The match is not yet over,'' Dalmiya said immediately after emerging out of a meeting with Ganguly and senior lawyer Siddhartha Shankar Ray.

To a specific question whether Ganguly would be going for an appeal, Dalmiya said, ''We have to look at various options''.

ICC commissioner Michael Beloff rejected Ganguly's appeal against the six-match ban for lacking 'sufficient merit' to overturn the initial decision.

The meeting was held at Ray's residence after it was learnt that ICC appeal commissioner had rejected Ganguly's appeal for lack of "sufficient merit."

Dalmiya, who is the president of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB), however, indicated that the appeal commissioner's verdict was not proper while referring to a similar situation five months ago when a two-Test match ban on Ganguly had beenremoved.

"The decision of the appeal commissioner is identical to what Chris Broad (who slapped six-match ban on Ganguly) had said, but to me the case this time appeared like what wasbefore Tim Castle the last time around. However, this time the verdict has been different," Dalmiya said.

Castle was the appeal commissioner in November, last year when he overturned the two-Test match ban slapped on Ganguly by Clive Lloyd for a similar offence.

To a specific query whether Ganguly would be going for another appeal, he said, "Now what is going to happen you have to wait for that."

Write Comments