Sachin unlikely to play for at least four months

Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi:Sachin Tendulkar is likely to be out of action for at least four months after the star batsman underwent a surgery to treat his elbow injury at London.

The 32-year-old, who was operated upon yesterday (May 24, 2005), is likely to be out of action for about 15 weeks but exact details of the time frame required for recovery could only be given after team physio John Gloster, who is accompanying the batsman, files his report, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary S K Nair said in New Delhi today (May 25, 2005).

"Before the operation it was thought that he would be out for atleast 15 weeks but the clear picture would emerge only after recieving the medical report from Gloster," he said, adding the report was expected today.

Tendulkar, the world's most successful One-day batsman with 13,642 runs and 38 centuries besides 10,134 runs in Tests, is likely to miss the August tri-series in Sri Lanka, also featuring the West Indies, and is also doubtful for India's tour of Zimbabwe in September.

Tendulkar had consulted a doctor in London a couple of days ago, Nair said, adding the doctor as well as Gloster were of the view that a surgery was essential.

"Both of them said it was in good interest of the player to undergo surgery," Nair said.

The 32-year-old has been troubled by the tennis elbow injury for over a year now and had missed three major One-day tournaments last year.

Write Comments