हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Trans-tasman rivals to bid jointly for 2011 World Cup

Published: Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Wellington:New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive Martin Snedden has confirmed that early negotiations are under way with Cricket Australia (CA) to bid jointly for World Cup's 2011 edition.

"We will express our interest but do not know what the bidding process will be yet," Snedden told New Zealand's leading news and information websitestuff.co.nz.

"It's too soon to be optimistic, but we are realistic. We have held the event here before and proved we could run it well and capably."

While a formal plan is months away, Snedden said there had been talks between NZC and CA and the tournamnet format would be similar to the 1991-92 event, which included group games in New Zealand and the final in Australia.

The ICC's rotation cycle suggests that Australasia should be in line to hold the tournament after the 2007 World Cup in West Indies, but the increased financial and playing rewards from Asia may sway the decision-makers.

"Because of the number of countries in the Asian region, it will come around more frequently there," Snedden added.

Write Comments