हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Vengsarkar asks Under 15 players to use light bats

Published: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mumbai:Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar has recommended that the country's Under-15 age group players use only bats which are lighter than 2.4 pounds in order to prevent them from picking up technical faults at a young age.

Vengsarkar, who attended the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) junior cricket committee's meeting in Mumbai today as a special invitee, has also proposed that in light of the next Under 19 World Cup, scheduled in Sri Lanka at the beginning of next year, a national junior coach be appointed at the earliest.

Another recommendation from the former Indian middle order batting mainstay who is the chairman of the Board's talent research development wing is that all junior tournaments be conducted only on good, standard wickets.

"The recommendation for Under 15 boys to use bats weighing not more than 2.4 pounds is because when they use heavier bats technical faults tend to creep in. They tend to use the bottom hand more than the top hand," Vengsarkar said.

"Also by using lighter bats these players can play longer innings," he added.

These proposals along with other recommendations came up for discussion at the junior committee's meeting chaired by BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla, according to the convener of the meeting and BCCI joint secretary Gautam Dasgupta.

One other significant recommendation is that all the junior players selected by each association for BCCI-organised tournaments should undergo pre-tournament medical tests conducted by the Apollo hospital or any other equivalent hospital to verify their correct age.

"This would prevent the tournaments from being affected midway as no protests regarding players' ages would be decided upon before the end of the tournament," Dasgupta said.

"Last year the conduct of the Under 15 tournament was put into jeopardy because of protests against players belonging to UP, Orissa, Gujarat and Andhra.

"To avoid a repeat of this episode it has been decided that the players undergo age verification tests by the Apollo hospital or any other hospital of equivalent standing before the start of the tournament," Dasgupta said.

"No protests would be taken cognisance of next season regarding the age of players once the tournament starts," he added.

"The decisions taken last year over the protests against some teams for fielding overaged players by the junior committee were ratified at the meeting," he added.

Dasgupta said the junior committee would recommend to the working committee that the Board's pitches committee, with former Delhi captain Venkat Sundaram at its helm, be asked to see that junior tournaments are conducted on good, standard wickets.

Dasgupta said that all the decisions taken today by the junior cricket committee would have to be approved by the Board's working committee which is set to meet in August.

Write Comments