Tendulkar pulls out of Zimbabwe Test series

Published: Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mumbai:Sachin Tendulkar has pulled out of the forthcoming two-Test series against Zimbabwe commencing on September 13, the Board of Control for Cricket in India announced today.

"Tendulkar will not be going to Zimbabwe and he will be replaced by Maharashtra's opener Dheeraj Jadhav", BCCI secretary S K Nair told PTI from Thriuvananthapuram.

The decision was taken after Tendulkar, recuperating from his elbow surgery that he underwent in May in London, had a talk with team physiotherapist John Gloster who had examined him in Mumbai before the team's departure for the ongoing.triangular series in Zimbabwe, Nair said.

"Gloster had a talk with Tendulkar and he has sent theboard an update on his medical reports," Nair said.Gloster was present when Tendulkar had a mild practice session at the MIG club in subarban Bandra earlier this month.

Jadhav was chosen as replacement for Tendulkar, whomissed the previous tour to Sri Lanka too, after the selectors had a telephonic conference, Nair said.Tendulkar had been chosen for the two-Test series, whichfollows the one-day tri-series after the latter's conclusion on September 6, subject to his being declared fit by the selectors when they chose the one-day and Test teams here on August 13.

Also chosen for the Test series were veteran leggie Anil Kumble, batsman V V S Laxman, speedsters Zaheer Khan and Laxmipathy Balaji, wicket keeper Dinesh Kaarthick and opener Gautam Gambhir.

These seven players, including Jadhav, would replace Venugopal Rao, Suresh Raina, M S Dhoni, Rudra Pratap Singh Murali Karthik, Ajit Agarkar and J P Yadav who are part of the one-day squad now in Zimbabwe.They are slated to leave for Zimbabwe on September 5 according to BCCI sources.

Write Comments