Clive Lloyd rules out media reports on WICB

Published: Thursday, September 1, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Trinidad:Former West Indies Captain and ICC Match Referee, Clive Lloyd, is not happy with reports appearing in sections of the Caribbean press that he refused to serve on the West Indies Cricket Board's Win World Cup Committee due to heavy overseas commitments.

In an interview to set the record straight, Lloyd said that he had been approached by the new WICB president Ken Gordon to serve on the Committee and given Terms of Reference for the position.

The Guyanese then wrote and explained to Gordon that it would be difficult to serve on the Committee and remain an ICC Match Referee.

On receipt of Lloyd's letter, Gordon told the former left-handed batsman he should keep his options open as far as West Indies Cricket is concerned.

Gordon asked Lloyd to call him to discuss matters further but when Lloyd did so he could not reach Gordon at the number he had given him at his address in Tobago.

Unable to reach Gordon, Lloyd explained his position to the Chief Executive Officer of the Board, Roger Brathwaite.

He then turned the matter over to his agent who rang Gordon at the new number provided and a promise was made by him to return a call to Lloyd or his agent.

That is where matters stood until the misleading release which appeared in the press.Lloyd said he was very concerned at the way this matter was handled and he does not want to leave the impression that he refused an opportunity to serve West Indies Cricket.

The WICB's press release on the composition of the Win World Cup Committee read: "Clive Lloyd, who had originally been invited to be the chairman, and Michael Holding declined invitations to join the committee due to heavy overseas commitments."

Write Comments