Tendulkar to comeback to professional cricket

Published: Saturday, October 1, 2005, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi:Indian batting star Sachin Tendulkar has been cleared for a return to competitive cricket after a lengthy lay-off with an injured elbow, chief selector Kiran More said.

Tendulkar, 32, will take the field for the first time in almost six months in the Challenger tri-series to be held in the northern city of Mohali from October 10 to 13.

"We have consulted John Gloster (Indian team physiotherapist) who has confirmed that Tendulkar can start playing," More said.

The tournament features teams selected from the best in the country and classified as India Seniors, India 'A' and India 'B', with squads expected to be announced later on Saturday.

"I have been wanting to get into action at the earliest and test the strength of my elbow," said Tendulkar, who was ruled out of this month's Super Series for a World XI against Australia.

Tendulkar underwent surgery in May after a precautionary medical check-up revealed a tendon tear on his left elbow and had to miss recent tours of Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe.

First afflicted with the injury in August last year, Tendulkar missed a one-day tournament in the Netherlands, the Champions Trophy in England in September and two home Tests against Australia in October.

He returned for the remaining two Tests of the series and also played against South Africa, Bangladesh and Pakistan before the last season ended in April.

Tendulkar has scored 10,134 runs in 123 Tests and needs just one more century to break compatriot Sunil Gavaskar's world record of 34 hundreds.

He holds the record for most number of runs in one-day internationals, having scored 13,642 runs from 348 matches with a record 38 centuries.

India's next engagement is a seven-match one-day home series against Sri Lanka starting on October 25.

Write Comments