NSW coach Trevor Bayliss said 36-year-old Thorpe will only come under selection consideration after fringe players were given opportunities.
Thorpe, who made a century on his Test debut, against Australia at Trent Bridge in 1993, and scored 6,744 runs in 100 Tests at an average off 44.66, announced last month he would be quitting all first-class cricket at the end of the current English season.
The former England batsman quit Test cricket after being omitted from the squad for the first match of the recent Ashes series against Australia.
The Surrey left-hander is coming to Australia after Christmas to fulfil his playing contract with NSW after his retirement announcement.
"We are hoping he doesn't play as I have said before, and he is aware of that but we will have to see how the season pans out," Bayliss said Thursday.
Bayliss said the state team's major priority in the domestic competition was developing cricketers for the national team.
NSW captain and Test wicket-keeper understudy Brad Haddin said he would be surprised if Thorpe got a start.
"No, I can't see him playing, if we are doing our job there is no reason to pick him," Haddin said Thursday.
"He is there if we need him but if the players are doing the job they are meant to do, I don't think there will be any need to pick him."
Thorpe will play for Sydney club UTS Balmain and Bayliss felt his experience would be invaluable for the Blues squad.
"It is very difficult these days to get blokes like Mark and Steve Waugh, and Mark Taylor, that have played 100 Tests, it is very difficult to get guys like that around practice, other than one or two times a year.
"So to have someone there full-time after Christmas will be a benefit to our young guys."
Thorpe is understood to be considering living in Australia on a permanent basis.