हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Zimbabwe cricket~~s 12-member board suspended

Published: Saturday, January 7, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Harare:Zimbabwe Cricket's 12-member board was suspended by the government and controversial chairman Peter Chingoka was retained to head an interim board.

Gibson Mashingaidze, chairman of Zimbabwe's Sports and Recreation Commission, yesterday appointed an interim board with some government officials until elections scheduled for July.

Mashingaidze also said the government would not bow to demands by 37 of the country's leading cricketers, who have been boycotting all national teams since last month for theremoval of Chingoka and ZC managing director Osias Bvute, who are accused of financial irregularities.

"We can start afresh without you. You can all go and play in India or South America if you like," Mashingaidze told the strikers.

In December, ZC vice chairman Judge Ahmed Ebrahim led a delegation of players and administrators in a bid to persuade Sports Minister Aegios Chigwedere to appoint an interim management committee to run the game until the crisis was resolved. The proposal was rejected. Ebrahim was among those forced from office this week.

The player strike - backed by all provincial chairmen - has jeopardised Zimbabwe's two-Test tour of the West Indies in April-May.

The players have made it clear they will not be deterred from their action, even though canceling the series could result in the removal of Zimbabwe as one of the InternationalCricket Council's 10 test nation members.

Write Comments