Ponting, who earlier this week was voted Australia's best-performing cricketer over the last year, said there was nothing to lose by reverting to the old system.
"I don't think there's anything lost by going back," he told BBC Sport on Wednesday. "We'll keep trying and making the best of it but I'd like to see us going back to 11 for the World Cup."
The trial of super-sub and powerplay rules will be reviewed by the International Cricket Council at the end of March.
The super-sub rule allows teams to substitute any player with a 12th man, who can bat and bowl rather than just taking his place in the field.
Several players have said it makes more sense for the sub to be nominated once a team knows whether it will bat or bowl first.
Ponting said the current version of the rule is impractical if a side does not select an all-rounder as a super-sub.
He cited the game against Sri Lanka in Perth on 29 January, when bowler Brett Dorey was Australia's 12th man. Australia lost the toss and were made to bowl first, which effectively ended Dorey's involvement.
"He goes out of the game and you're playing 11 against 12," said Ponting, who said he also wanted to see a change to powerplays.
Under current rules, the bowling team is forced to field nine players, including the bowler and wicketkeeper, inside a 30-yard circle for two five-over blocks after the first 10 overs.
Previously, fielding restrictions were only in place for the first 15 overs.
"We've used the powerplays in a couple of different ways but generally you try to get them out of the way as soon as you can," Ponting was quoted as saying.
"The reason powerplays were brought in was because everyone thought the game was a bit boring between overs 15 and 40. The powerplays aren't even being used then at the moment so that doesn't really make much sense."