हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

No vendetta against Dalmiya, says Shah

Published: Monday, March 13, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Kolkata:Denying the charges of any 'witch-hunting,' BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah today said the Board was not waging a personal war against former president Jagmohan Dalmiya but was trying to unearth the truth behind some of the serious allegations against him.

''There is no question of any witch-hunt against anybody. During Dalmiya's tenure also lot of investigations were conducted against several BCCI members. When allegations of such serious nature have been made, they need to be probed. If nothing comes out, then that will be the end of it,'' BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told UNI here.

Asking if it affected the image of the cricket Board, he said, ''On the contrary it's only a good thing in the democratic process.

Matters can be tossed up and discussed in the public.'' He further added that there was absolute transparency in the way the Board dealt with the matters.

As the matter of the loss incurred in the TV rights deal came up, he said, ''We have received a letter from CAB and we will answer it in due time.''

On Dalmiya's charge that the board has lost Rs 81.40 crores following the recent four-year global media rights deal signed by it, Mr Shah said, ''the bid was done in a very transparent manner, we will give him all the documents. It was ratified in the Working Committee and he was present there. The bidders are happy, there is no problem anywhere.''

He said that the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) had written to him on the issue. ''We will give them a reply soon along with all relevant documents.'' Shah clarified that Boria Majumdar, the author of the BCCI commissioned 'Social History of Indian Cricket' had been paid Rs 33 lakhs and not Rs 52 lakhs as was alleged by Board Vice-President Lalit Modi earlier.

Mr Shah said though the BCCI Working Committee had okayed the amount to be paid to the author, it needed to be seen ''whether the work was worth the exorbitant amount.'' On a punter gaining entry into the media box at Mohali, he said, ''the PCA, being the local staging association, would look into it.

The Board will also look into the issue and appropriate action will be taken so that such things are not repeated.'' Regarding Mr Dalmiya's showcasue notice, he said, ''I do not want to comment why he has done, what he has done. We have come here to file a petition against the order taken by him in the lower court and we will deal with it.''

Mr Shah was accompanied by lawyers Ankur Chawla and Memmud Abdi to the metropolis to file an appeal before the Calcutta High Court seeking to vacate a stay obtained by Dalmiya from a city court against the show cause notice served on him.

Write Comments