West Indies in dire straits against Kiwis

Published: Friday, March 17, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

More images
Wellington:The New Zealand cricketers found they could survive without Shane Bond, as a five-wicket haul to James Franklin left the West Indies reeling at 182 for eight on a rain-shortened opening day of the second cricket Test.

There were distinct jitters in the New Zealand camp when Bond, the hero of the 217-run first Test win, pulled out of the second Test with a stomach virus shortly before play began at the Basin Reserve on Friday.

The West Indies looked to cash in on the weakened attack by opting to bat first on what looked an ideal track, and when Chris Gayle and Daren Ganga moved smoothly through to 43 without loss the decision seemed justified.

But when Franklin found his line, pitching up and inviting the drive, three wickets fell for six runs and he ended the day with five for 44, including top-scorer Runako Morton who made 63.

The New Zealand left-armer started with the dismissal of Gayle for 30, tempting him to drive at one around the off-stump and edging it to wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum, and then took the prized scalp of Brian Lara for one.

Lara had looked unsettled in the four balls he faced before edging one to Stephen Fleming at first slip.

In between the Gayle and Lara dismissals, Kyle lured Daren Ganga to chase one down leg side into the gloves of wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum and with the West Indies three wickets down for 49 the lift in the New Zealand side was plain to see.

On the last ball before lunch, Shivnarine Chanderpaul was unlucky to be given out caught behind when television replays clearly showed the ball came off his thigh pad.

Franklin continued his run off success in the middle session with the wickets of Dwayne Bravo, leg before wicket, and Denesh Ramdin who chopped the ball on to his stumps.

His success inspired Chris Martin, who had trouble early settling on a line, before he tightened up to capture the wicket of Rawl Lewis for 22, just as Lewis and Morton were staging a mini-recovery with a 36-run stand for the seventh wicket.

But while the carnage continued at one end, Morton stood firm at the other.

Brought into the side for the injured Ramnaresh Sarwan, Morton played confidently on both sides of the wicket to bring up his maiden Test 50 before being undone by a Franklin delivery that cut back during one of the brief periods of play in the final session.

Play was held up three times by the rain and poor light before the umpires called stumps to ensure the West Indies were still at the crease at the start of the second day.

Write Comments