Graphite bats to be withdrawn by October

Published: Friday, March 31, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London:The graphite bat favoured by Australian captain Ricky Ponting will be withdrawn from first class cricket by October, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said yesterday.

Six weeks after the product was scrapped from international cricket, Australian manufacturer Kookaburra has agreed voluntarily to withdraw its graphite-reinforced bat from all first-class cricket by October 1.

''Kookaburra's proposal has been supported by the ICC member countries who have agreed to allow the use of the bats at levels below first-class domestic competition for the duration of the natural lifespan of the bats,'' the ICC said in a statement.

The decision was reached after the ICC received advice from the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) that the bat contravened Law 6 of the game's rules and, in the MCC's view, was illegal.

The manufacturer will end production and distribution of the controversial bats.

The bat was launched in December 2004 and had been regularly used by Australia's Justin Langer and Damien Martyn, and Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya.

Write Comments