No regrets for Trescothick over India series exit

Published: Wednesday, April 12, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London:Marcus Trescothick insisted that he has no regrets about his early exit from England's tour of India.

The opening batsman left before the first Test at the beginning of March after contracting a debilitating virus, a problem he partially blamed on the team's heavy workload.

But the 30-year-old said Wednesday that he was happy he had made the right choice despite his experience being badly missed on a tour blighted by injuries.

Asked if he thought he had let England down, Trescothick told Sky Sports: "I don't think so, to be honest. I think people will realise.

"I've had a lot of support, players and management, and I think that says a lot for me.

"I know I've made the right decision. I'm sure I've made the right decision. It was just unfortunate with the timing - obviously with everyone else going down as well, it was just highlighted it a bit more."

Trescothick's departure was explained as a "family reason" at the time by England, which conflicts with the player's own explanation.

The left-hander is currently preparing for the start of the new season with his county Somerset, who have tried to shield him from the spotlight.

Somerset chief executive Richard Gould told the Daily Telegraph, "I'm sure the press have found it frustrating, but the most important thing is that we get Marcus in the best frame of mind for the new season.

"The fact he was forced to return home was a combination of things - stress, the virus and being away from his family for long periods of time.

"I was taken by surprise by the degree of scepticism that has been shown about his explanation."

Professional Cricketers Association chief executive Richard Bevan has also offered sympathy for players like Trescothick who are so stretched physically and mentally by a punishing international schedule.

Trescothick admitted six years of continuous cricket with England had been taking its toll.

"We have to find a balance and a bit more common sense," said Bevan.

"You don't want the game brought into disrepute.

"The ICC are certainly sympathetic. The chief executive stated in his annual report ... that the demands on international cricketers are enormous.

"What the ICC have to do is develop clearer and longer-term plans. They have to improve communications with the stakeholders.

"We want them to get younger players on the board. They will have different ideas on international cricket and player burn-out.

"They need to forge stronger links with the international players' association (FICA)."

Write Comments