हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Pawar to take up the case of Boje, Gibbs

Published: Saturday, May 6, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi:Leaving no stone unturned that the Champions Trophy doesn't lose its sheen, BCCI President Sharad Pawar today confirmed that he would take up the issue of Nicky Boje and Herschelle Gibbs, tainted in match-fixing scandal, with the Home Ministry.

''I have got a letter from the International Cricket Council in this regard and both (ICC President) Ehsan Mani and (Chief Executive) Malcolm Speed had discussed the issue with me. I'm going to take up the matter,'' Mr Pawar told reporters here.

Both Boje and Gibbs were named in Delhi Polices investigation into the match-fixing saga that rocked cricketing world in 2000.

Since then, both have skipped the tours of India in 2004 and 2005 after failing to get an assurance from Delhi Police that they won't be arrested.

United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) has also sided with the players and said they won't force the duo to tour India unless there is a written assurance that they won't be detained.

BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah, however, earlier said India wanted to host a star-studded Champions Trophy this year and they would like to see Boje and Gibbs in the Proteas rank. Mr Shah also informed that BCCI would like to use the good office of Mr Pawar, the Agriculture minister, to solve the imbroglio.

Mr Pawar seemed confident of finding a solution and said, ''I'm going to discuss the issue with the Home Secretary and Commissioner of the Delhi Police.'' Apart from Gibbs and Boje, deceased South African skipper Hansie Cronje and spinner Peter Strydom were also named in the scandal.

Gibbs has served a six-month ban from international cricket while Cronje was handed a life ban after admitting before a commission headed by South African judge Edwin King that he took money from bookmakers and paid some players, including Gibbs, to under perform.

Write Comments