हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Proteas turn down request to replace Pakistan

Published: Friday, August 25, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Johannesburg: South Africa today turned down a request from the ECB for the Proteas to replace Pakistan should they withdraw from the ODI series against England following the ball tampering controversy in the forfeited Test match at the Oval on Monday.

Confirming that Cricket South Africa (CSA) were approached by the ECB to play in case Pakistan pulls out from the ODI series next week, board CEO Gerald Majola today said they turned down the request due to their prior commitment in Zimbabwe.

''We were approached by the ECB earlier this week, requesting the Proteas to replace Pakistan should they withdraw from the ODI tournament against England,'' Majola said in a staement today.

''We have turned down the request on the basis that we are committed to playing against Zimbabwe in the three-match MTN ODI tournament starting next month,'' he added.

South Africa will host Zimbabwe for three One-dayers between September 15-20.

Write Comments