हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

No plans to question Gibbs, Boje: Delhi Police

Published: Thursday, August 31, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi: Police today denied media reports that it planned to question two South African cricketers -- Herschelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje -- in connection with the 2000 match-fixing scandal when they visit India for the forthcoming 'Champions Trophy' tournament later this year.

Joint Commissioner (Crime) Ranjit Narayan told that police would react to this presumption at an appropriate time.

''We cannot react to every report and would inform about our step at the appropriate time.'' On whether any such move was on the anvil the Jt Commissioner said necessary steps would be taken when the need arises while refusing to elaborate what steps the police was likely to take in case the two cricketers -- Herschelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje -- visited India.

Gibbs-Boje duo, who had been avoiding touring India despite having been selected for the South African team, had sought 'guarantees' from the BCCI that they would not be questioned by the police in connection with the scandal, which the board refused to provide.

Meanwhile, official sources conceded that investigations into the scandal were yet to be finished, which keeps the issue open-ended as far as interrogation of the cricketers by the police was concerned here though officials refuse to say it in as many words.

Officials, however, said that investigations could be completed only after the two were questioned.

The names of two cricketers had cropped up during investigations by the Delhi Police, which broke the scandal after tapping a phone conversation of the late South African skipper Hansie Cronje during his team's tour of India in 2000.

Write Comments