Oval fiasco: Pak rejects ECB compensation claim

Published: Monday, October 16, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi:Pakistan has informed the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) that it has rejected a claim for compensation of around $1.49 million for loss of revenues in relation to abandonment of the Oval Test in August.

Pakistan had previously stated it would contest the claim through its lawyers and PCB director of cricket operations Saleem Altaf said today that the board had written to the ECB to confirm its stance.

''We have said in our letter that the Oval Test not being completed is a case of cause and effect,'' Altaf told Reuters.

''The 'cause' was when umpire Darrell Hair accused our team of ball-tampering and the 'effect' was our team refusing to play the match.'' The Test was abandoned when Pakistan refused to play after tea on the fourth day of the final test against England to protest a decision by umpires Hair and Billy Doctrove to change the ball and penalise them five runs for alleged ball-tampering.

At a hearing in London last month, the International Cricket Council (ICC) adjudicator Ranjan Madugalle cleared captain Inzamam-ul-Haq of the tampering charges but banned him for four matches for bringing the game into disrepute.

In the wake of the forfeited Test, the ECB asked the Pakistan board to compensate them for lost revenues.

''The ECB should realise that we have been vindicated in our stand on ball-tampering which led to the effect. It should contact the person responsible for the effect,'' Altaf said.


Write Comments