ICC to decide on ECB compensation claim

Published: Monday, October 23, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi:An ICC disputes panel is to have the final say on England's compensation claim for lost revenue from the Oval Test against Pakistan after both boards failed to reach an agreement.

Pakistan forfeited the August match after refusing to take the field after tea on the fourth day to protest ball-tampering allegations, prompting the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to demand 800,000 pounds from their Pakistani counterparts.

On Monday, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) director of cricket operations Saleem Altaf told that the ECB had informed his organisation that they were now taking the dispute to the ICC committee.

"They had sent us a letter setting an Oct. 31 deadline for resolving the issue. We told them we were contesting their claim and in their latest letter, they have informed us they are going to the ICC," Altaf said.

"The ICC will now constitute the disputes resolution committee and set a date for the hearing," he added.

Pakistan has rejected England's claim, saying Australian umpire Darrell Hair triggered the incident by making unsubstantiated ball-tampering charges.

"He later also refused to resume the match despite intervention from the ICC and an agreement between both boards to play on the final day," Altaf said.

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq was cleared of the ball-tampering charges at an ICC meeting in London last month but handed a four-match one-day international ban for bringing the game into disrepute.


Write Comments