It will take time to get into ODI mode: Kumble

Published: Monday, October 30, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi:His last one day appearance was in August last year and after getting the nod for the five-match ODI series against South Africa, veteran leggie Anil Kumble today admitted it would take time to get into the ODI mode.

Talking to CNN-IBN after he was named in the 16-member squad which leaves for South Africa next month, Kumble said, ''My last ODI was in the Afro-Asian Cup in South Africa and I'm bit out of touch with one day cricket for I did not play for the country and it would take some time to get into the ODI format.''

Chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar today described Kumble as an ''integral part'' of the ODI team, hinting the leggie would be retained in the World Cup squad as well.

A veteran of 264 ODIs, the 36-year-old spinner, also country's most successful ODI bowler with 329 wickets, said, ''I always thought that you need to be considered as a key player and always thought to be back in the one day scheme of things.''

Kumble, however, was not ready to speculate about World Cup and said, ''There are lot of cricket to be played before the World Cup and I'm trying to focus on the South Africa tour.''

Stumper Dinesh Karthik, who was named Yuvraj Singh's standby and looks certain to board the flight to South Africa, was also elated with his selection.

''I'm happy to be back and hoping to deliver the goods if I get the opportunity."

''I have been working on my keeping techniques and also worked hard on my batting. I always felt that I can be a good batsman. I'm quite confident and given the opportunity, I'll give my best for the country,'' he added.


Write Comments