Mark Boucher regains A-plus contract with CSA

Published: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Johannesburg:Following his 'outstanding' performances this year, Mark Boucher was today re-elevated to an A-plus contract by Cricket South Africa (CSA).

Announcing this CSA CEO, Gerald Majola said, ''Mark has regained his A-plus contract for his overall contribution to the Proteas' team effort during the 2006-07 season so far.'' Boucher's A-plus contract was downgraded to A after he was dropped for the tour of India in Nov 2004, following a loss of form.

However, the wicketkeeper returned to the team within two months and has been performing consistently since, which led to the review of his contract.

''Mark returned to the team for the fourth Test against England at Johannesburg in January 2005 and he has been working very hard.

His commitment and skills have come to fruition again during this season,'' Majola said in a statement.

Boucher's batting averages for Tests and ODIs so far this season are 46.50 and 65.25 respectively, and the wicketkeeper has been good with the gloves as well, taking a number of fine catches that have turned matches for the Proteas.

''Consequently, we have taken the unusual step of reviewing and upgrading his contract before the end of the season,'' he said.

Boucher is now back on A-plus together with skipper Graeme Smith, all-rounder Jacques Kallis and pacer Makhaya Ntini.

''Obviously, I'm very pleased to regain an A-plus contract. I've worked really very hard at my game and have been rewarded with more consistency,'' Boucher said in a statement after being informed of the up-gradation by Majola.

The 29-year-old was recently named as one of South Africa's five Cricketers of the Year for the third time.


Write Comments