"We have lodged an appeal to review the ban with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) through our lawyer Abid Hasan Minto and hope to hire some foreign experts to contest the case," doctor Tauseef Razzaq told AFP on Wednesday.
PCB's three-member doping tribunal on Nov 1 banned Akhtar for two years and fellow paceman Mohammad Asif for one year after internally conducted tests showed A samples of their urine had excessive limits of nandrolone.
The pair appeared before the tribunal and accepted the reports, declining to have their B samples examined.
Asif on Monday appealed for a review.
The PCB has formed a three-member appeal committee comprising former high court judge Fakhruddin Ibrahim, former Test player Haseeb Ehsan and doping expert doctor Danish Zaheer to hear the petitions.
The tribunal is expected to meet next week.
The ban means both the key fast bowlers will miss next year's World Cup in the West Indies and their absence would severely reduced Pakistan's chances.
While Asif, 23, can stage a comeback after serving the ban, it seems curtains for Akhtar who at 31 might not be able to resume his career.
Akhtar had pleaded his innocence after the results of the tests were revealed last month.
"I cannot say much at this time about what has happened but I just want to assure everyone that I am innocent of doing anything I shouldn't have," Akhtar said.
"All I can say is that I have not knowingly taken any performance enhancing drugs and would never cheat my team-mates or opponents in this way. I have always played the game fair and I give 100 per cent and do not feel that I need to take drugs to help my bowling."