Shabbir~~s action cleared after tests, says PCB

Published: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi:Banned paceman Shabbir Ahmed has had his bowling action cleared by biomechanics experts in Australia, a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official said today.

''The preliminary reports sent to us after Shabbir underwent tests at the University of Western Australia show his action is now within the tolerance level allowed by the International Cricket Council (ICC),'' Saleem Altaf, the PCB's director of cricket operations, told Reuters.

''In view of these reports we will be approaching the ICC to allow him to resume playing international cricket as soon as the ban period ends on Dec. 19,'' Altaf said.

Shabbir, who has taken 51 wickets in 10 Tests became the first bowler to be banned for 12 months last December after his action was reported by match officials twice in 2005.

The 30-year-old was sent to Australia last week by the PCB for fresh biomechanical tests on his corrected bowling action under the supervision of Professor Bruce Elliot and Daryl Foster.

''It is good news that his action has been found within legitimate parameters laid down by the ICC. The detailed report is expected within a week after which we will go for the clearance,'' Altaf said.

The ICC tolerance levels allow bowlers to extend their elbows up to 15 degrees.

''His bowling action will remain under scrutiny by ICC match officials and if he is reported or called again he can face another long ban,'' Altaf added.

Pakistan are keen to have the seamer available for next year's tour of South Africa and the World Cup in the West Indies after Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif were given doping bans earlier this month following positive tests for the steroid nandrolone. Both bowlers are appealing the punishment.


Write Comments