Gillespie said he has yet to receive an offer from his state side South Australia and may have to go on the open market to prolong his cricket career.
The 31-year-old paceman has taken 25 wickets at 26.96 in Australia's Sheffield Shield this season and played the most recent of his 71 Tests 10 months ago.
"I don't know where I stand with South Australia, whether I'm required for next year. I guess I'll find out pretty soon," Gillespie told the Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
"I'm still off contract so I guess I'm a free agent. You never know, maybe there's a (Australian) state keen on me and I'll weigh up that option.
"Obviously, South Australia are my first option and I'd like to sign a two-year deal with them, but if that doesn't happen then I'll have to look elsewhere.
Overlooked for the World Cup and the recent Ashes series, Gillespie, Australia's fifth-most prolific Test wicket taker with 259 victims, concedes his international career is all but over.
Such is his career freefall, Gillespie also expects to be stripped of his Cricket Australia (CA) contract when the 25-man list is released after the World Cup in April.
"I can't see myself getting another CA contract. I believe they only gave me one last year because of what happened in Bangladesh," said Gillespie, who scored 201 not out (as a nightwatchman) in his last Test appearance last April.
"My chance of playing for Australia again is about as remote as you can get. The selectors have played their card, they have lost faith in me, they don't want me around and that's their call.
"I'm not saying I deserved to be in the World Cup, but it's a bitter pill to swallow when you get man of the match in your last two Tests and you aren't in the picture."