The series involving India, South Africa and the hosts was cancelled in Colombo in August when the Proteas abandoned the tour and flew home after a roadside bombing here.
"We plan to write to the ICC (International Cricket Council) seeking compensation under a tournament cancellation scheme," Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) secretary K. Mathivanan told AFP.
"We lost millions after the tournament was abandoned. Hopefully ICC will give us some money to cover our costs," Mathivanan said without specifying the amount sought from the ICC.
The SLC had also moved a local court to seek compensation from the Ceylinco Insurance Company on its "sports cancellation and abandonment policy" worth US$11.9 million.
The insurance company denied the cricket board's claim, arguing that the matches were called off due to bad weather and not terrorism as specified in the terms of the insurance policy.
The South Africans, who had earlier played two Test matches in Colombo, left Sri Lanka after suspected Tamil Tiger rebels set off a Claymore mine targeting the convoy of Pakistan's Ambassador Bashir Ali Mohamund on August 14.
The envoy escaped unhurt, but four of his guards were killed and 10 vehicles were damaged in the blast which occurred close to the hotel in downtown Colombo where the South Africans were staying.