Pak chief selector files complaint against Farhat

Published: Wednesday, May 9, 2007, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Lahore:Pakistan opener Imran Farhat has been reported to the PCB for allegedly misbehaving with the newly-appointed Chief selector Salahuddin Ahmed over his omission from the Abu Dhabi-bound squad later this month.

Salahuddin alias Sallu filed an official complaint against discarded Test opener Imran Farhat over indiscipline yesterday.

The selection committee has sent a complaint to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), recommending disciplinary action against the batsman who reportedly lost his cool after being ignored in the Pakistani squad for a three-match series against Sri Lanka.

''We have filed a complaint against Imran Farhat for trying to interfere with selection matters,'' said Sallu, a former Test cricketer.

The national selectors opted for Salman Butt, Imran Nazir and Mohammad Hafeez over Imran Farhat while naming a 16-man Pakistan squad for the series.

Sallu told The News that after the team announcement, Imran rang him up to protest against the snub.

''It was a violation of the code of conduct. No player is allowed to talk to the chief selector or other members of the selection committee and raise objection over the selection process,'' said Sallu.

Providing details, Sallu said that the player rang him up and said, ''Why wasnt I selected in the team? What was my fault? I have no contract and if I cant be in the team what would become of my future? You will have to give me a reason why I was not considered?'' However, Imran, when contacted, denied misbehaving with any member of the selection committee.

''I just met the selectors and asked the reasons behind my exclusion but, they snubbed me and told me that selection committee is not answerable to any player,'' he said.

He added that his wife was admitted to hospital in critical condition two days ago and he left the camp for two days after consulting with the selectors. ''I was told by the selectors that I am the strongest candidate to make a comeback and two days leave would not affect my selection, but now I have been dropped,'' he was quoted as saying by Dawn.

Imran, apparently, told the chief selector that he had given up a lucrative league contract in UK to join the Pakistan camp in Lahore and deserved to be included in the squad, sources said.

''He also accused the selection committee of attempting to ruin his career,'' a PCB source added.

Imran's protest came just a day after his father-in-law Mohammad Ilyas, a former Pakistan Test cricketer, exchanged heated words with Sallu and selection committee member Shafqat Rana soon after the Pakistan team was named in Lahore.

Imran, 24, now faces a fine for alleged violation of the PCB code of conduct and may even be banned by the Board.

Till just last year, the talented left-handed opener seemed to have made his place in the Pakistan team but was surprisingly left out of the World Cup squad where Imran Nazir was selected as an opener.


Write Comments