हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

No neutral venue for banned Australia-Zimbabwe tour

Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 16:23 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

SYDNEY (AFP):Cricket Australia (CA) said Tuesday its suggestion that a banned tour of Zimbabwe could proceed at a neutral venue had been scrapped after the host nation's top cricket official rejected the idea.

CA chief executive James Sutherland spoke to his Zimbabwean counterpart Ozias Bvute about their options following the Australian government's decision to ban the September tour on political grounds, a CA spokesman said.

"Mr Bvute made it very clear that playing the series at a neutral venue was not a possibility," the spokesman told Australian Associated Press.

"We can now say definitely that the series will not be happening inside or outside Zimbabwe."

Howard on Sunday ordered Australian cricketers not to tour the impoverished African nation, saying the presence of the world champions would be used as a propaganda tool to support the rule of "grubby dictator" Robert Mugabe.

Write Comments