हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Zee-BCCI deal falls thro~~; India-SA ODIs in doubt

Published: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mumbai:The three-game one-day series between India and South Africa scheduled to take place at Belfast, Ireland in June is in doubt after the broadcast deal between Zee TV and the Indian board was scrapped, claims reports.

"We have decided to scrap the deal," Ashish Kaul, senior vice-president of Zee Group, told Press Trust of India.

Zee Group and the BCCI signed a five-year deal worth US$219 million last year, the terms of which obliged India to play up to 25 'home' ODIs outside India. The deal was believed to have been scrapped after a meeting on Tuesday. BCCI are now in discussions with another broadcaster.

Kaul said "the attitude of the BCCI" was to be blamed for the fall-out. "This is because of the double standards adopted by the BCCI. While Nimbus, who hold the telecast rights for matches played in India till 2008-09, were given a hefty concessions on the renegotiated price, they have not even bothered to discuss the issue with us. Also, apart from the Ireland and Scotland matches, they have not intimated us the whole calendar."

"Nothing is finalised yet. We're working on it. Regarding the cancellation of the Ireland series, we can't comment at this stage," BCCI vice-president Lalit Modi said.

The series in Ireland was arranged by the Irish Cricket Union (ICU) and would have earned his board around US$600,000. The move had caused a rift between the ICU and the ECB as the dates clashed with international fixture in England. India and South Africa were both due to play one-off ODIs against Ireland before the main series, and those matches are also in doubt. South Africa will almost certainly not travel for that game alone, but India may play games in Ireland as they are due to start their tour of England with a game against Pakistan in Glasgow on July 3.

Agencies

Write Comments