Rain washes out India-Pakistan clash

Published: Tuesday, July 3, 2007, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Glasgow:The one-off ODI for the Friendship Cup between India and Pakistan here has been called off without a ball being bowled due to wet outfield caused by incessant rain over the last few days.

Persistent drizzle and wet outfield thwarted scheduled start of 1515 hrs IST, but by 1730 hrs IST rain had stopped and groundsmen worked hard to dry up the pitch and outfield by using blowers and super soppers but to no avail.

Umpires declared the ground unfit to play after making inspection at 1830 hrs IST to the disappointment of Asian population who were expected to turn up in large numbers.

The proceeds of the match, which is part of celebrations of the 60th anniversary of independence of the two countries, was to go to Prince Charles Trust.

Earlier in the morning, Scotland police conducted a series of controlled explosions on a suspicious vehicle outside a mosque here.

A bomb disposal team carried out the operation on a suspicious car parked outside the Forth Street Mosque in the Pollokshields area of Glasgow's south side, which has a large Asian population.

Police, however, said there was no indication that the mosque had any connection with the attempt by two men to set off a car bomb at the airport on Saturday.

Superintendent Stewart Daniels, of Strathclyde Police, told BBC Radio Scotland, ''The car was found to be in the car park of a mosque. There's absolutely no specific information to indicate that this vehicle is a threat, however we have been working very closely over the past few days with the bomb squad.''

''They are out at present, firstly just to ensure that the vehicle is not a threat, and secondly to secure any forensic evidence that the vehicle may contain. The mosque itself has no link to this incident.'' The car was removed from the scene and will undergo a forensic search. The area was also cordoned off by police. Security of the two teams was also beefed up after Saturday's foiled terrorist attack at the airport.


Write Comments