हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Injured Hoggard ruled out of first India Test

Published: Thursday, July 19, 2007, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London:England suffered a fresh bowling crisis yesterday after Matthew Hoggard said he had been ruled out of the first Test against India starting at Lord's today after hurting his back in training.

''After almost three years without missing a Test match, I've now picked up three irritating niggles in the space of seven months and the back spasm that has ruled me out of the Lord's Test is the most annoying of all,'' Hoggard told The Times.

Right-arm medium pace bowler Hoggard first felt a twinge in his back playing for Yorkshire at Old Trafford last week and suffered some stiffness practising at Lord's on Tuesday.

During a fitness test the following day he ''realised straight away that I wouldn't be playing in the Test match'', he added in his column in The Times newspaper today.

Hoggard had an MRI scan on Wednesday before returning to Yorkshire where he will await the results.

England are already without experienced pace bowlers Andrew Flintoff and Steve Harmison because of injury.

Hoggard had been expected to lead a raw bowling attack, with Chris Tremlett and Stuart Broad, yet to make their debuts, in the 13-man squad.

Reuters

Write Comments