हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Akhtar to face PCB committee over brawl

Published: Saturday, September 29, 2007, 3:35 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail


Karachi: The Pakistan cricket board has called fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar to attend a disciplinary hearing after he was sent home from the Twenty20 World Cup earlier this month after hitting a team mate.

Akhtar left South Africa after he hit Mohammad Asif with a bat before the start of the tournament. The bowler has said the blow was unintentional.

"We have issued a notice to Shoaib and asked him to appear before the committee on Oct 6 to record his statement, Shafqat Naghmi who heads the board's disciplinary committee said on Saturday.

The board has given the three-member committee two weeks to complete its hearing into the brawl and submit a report.

Akhtar has said his bat hit Asif accidentally and that all-rounder Shahid Afridi had provoked the row.

"Besides Shoaib, Asif and Afridi would also be examined on Oct. 6 and we will also question the team manager and some players," Naghmi said.

The controversial Akhtar escaped a fine of $5,000 last month for leaving a training camp in Karachi without informing the team management.

He appealed and the fine was suspended after it was accepted that he had told captain Shoaib Malik that he intended to leave.

Last year the fast bowler and Asif tested positive for a banned substance in out of competition tests conducted by the board and were sent home from the Champions Trophy in India.

They were at first banned and then cleared by a drugs inquiry tribunal and appeals panel of the board.

Akhtar has played just one Test and four one-dayers in the last 15-months due to fitness and discipline related problems.

Reuters 

 

Write Comments