Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2007, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

More images

Andrew Symonds and Brad Haddin smashed robust half-centuries as Australia recovered from early blows to reach 306-6 against India in the second one-day international here.

Australia were reeling at 8-2 after being put in to bat, but hard-hitting Symonds (87), Haddin (87 not out) and Matthew Hayden (75) ended India's early celebrations to help their side set a stiff target.

Hayden steadied the innings while Symonds and Haddin went on the rampage in the closing stages, with 91 coming in the last 10 overs.

Haddin hammered three sixes and eight fours in his career-best 69-ball knock for his second successive half-century, while Symonds hit two sixes and nine fours in his 83-ball knock. They put on 108 for the fifth wicket.

The first one-dayer of the seven-match series was abandoned due to rain at Bangalore on Saturday.

Hayden initially relied on singles and twos, but Symonds went for big shots soon after arriving at the crease to considerably ease the pressure.

Symonds smashed left-arm seamer Irfan Pathan for three fours in an over and then hoisted spinners Harbhajan Singh and Ramesh Powar for sixes before racing to his half-century.

Hayden received valuable support from Symonds and in-form Michael Clarke (27) after stand-in captain Adam Gilchrist (0) had fallen in the opening over and Brad Hodge (3) in the fourth.

He put on 56 for the third wicket with Clarke and 94 for the next with Symonds before being bowled leg-stump off a reverse-swinging yorker from Pathan. He hit three sixes and five fours.

Hayden reached his 31st half-century in style, swinging Harbhajan over mid-wicket for his first six. He then hit part-time bowler Sachin Tendulkar and Powar for two more sixes.

India appeared to have regained the initiative after Clarke's dismissal, but Haddin, Symonds and Hayden counter-attacked vigorously.

It was a smart piece of leg-side stumping by Mahendra Singh Dhoni that led to the dismissal of Clarke, who had made a century in the previous match.

Square-leg umpire Suresh Shastri consulted the third umpire at the last moment after initially ruling the batsman out, with Clarke waiting at the boundary before walking back to the dressing-room.

The match was delayed by 30 minutes due to wet patches on the wicket caused by rain over the past three days.

Read more about: symonds, haddin, flay, attack
Write Comments