England opener Andrew Strauss has admitted he was hurt to be dropped for his country's forthcoming tour to Sri Lanka.
Strauss, 30, will miss the three-Test series starting in December after a woeful run of form culminated in his ommission from the squad announced on Friday.
The Middlesex star has averaged just 27 in the last year but he believes bad luck and a lack of time to regroup due to the hectic international schedule were the key reasons for his lack of runs.
"To say that it hurts is a massive understatement," he told the Sunday Telegraph.
"In truth it is the culmination of a long, tiring and immensely frustrating 12 months in which little has gone my way.
"I have been a victim of some poor umpiring decisions, some unfortunate dismissals and a few incredibly good balls delivered at just the wrong moment.
"But I still have to take responsibility for my less than satisfactory contributions.
"Without any sort of window in the last 18 months - in a ridiculously crowded international schedule - to take stock, make technical changes and refresh the mind, turning it around has been extremely difficult."
Strauss will recharge his batteries by taking a break from cricket for a month or so before deciding if he should join the 'Performance Squad' who travel to India later this year.
"Some further time away from the game, regaining hunger and desire, may be beneficial," he said.
"But over the longer term the only way I can rediscover the habit of scoring runs is by playing, so I will have to look into the opportunities available."