Faisalabad: South Africa has sent a security official to Karachi to determine if it is safe to play their last one-day game against Pakistan in the troubled city, an official said.
A suicide bombing tore through former premier Benazir Bhutto's homecoming parade in the southern city on October 18 killing 139 people.
South Africa said they would await a security assessment before deciding whether to play the fifth and final one-day match there on Oct 29.
"South Africa is sending their security official, and a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official will accompany him, to assess security in Karachi and will give an update on playing in the city by Wednesday," PCB spokesman Ahsan Malik said.
South Africa have already held meetings with Pakistan officials in the wake of the attack and have been assured of stepped up security for players.
South Africa team manager Logan Naidoo told reporters on Sunday a final decision on playing in Karachi would be made in the next few days.
"We are monitoring the security situation in Pakistan especially in Karachi. We are waiting for feedback on the situation from high-level Pakistani officials after which we will make a decision," Naidoo said.
Media reports have said the match could be shifted to Multan, where the fourth match is to be played on Oct 26, or to Lahore where the first two matches were held last week.
Karachi has been a danger zone for international teams given the city's history of extremist and ethnic violence.
New Zealand had to cut short a tour after a bomb blast outside their hotel killed 14 people, including 11 French naval staff, in May 2002.
South Africa refused to play in the city on their last tour four years ago.
The city was cleared for international cricket only when India played a five-day Test there last year.