Adelaide: Former Australian allrounder Darren Lehmann announced his retirement from first-class cricket here Monday.
Lehmann, 37, told a press conference that injuries were the deciding factor in ending a 20-year playing career which yielded more 25,000 first-class runs for Australia, South Australia, Victoria and English county Yorkshire.
He denied that he had been asked to quit by the South Australian Cricket Association and became emotional when mentioning the support of his wife Andrea and family during his press announcement.
"I think I'm still playing well enough at this level, but the injuries are just getting too much, it's getting harder to get out of bed in the morning to start with," Lehmann said.
"I'm looking forward to it (retirement), looking forward to watching the boys play."
Lehmann scored 1,798 runs at 44.95 in 27 Tests for Australia and played in 117 one-day internationals.
He is the most prolific run-getter in the history of Sheffield Shield cricket with 13,468 runs at 54.52 in 146 matches for Victoria and South Australia.