New Zealand wrap up series against Bangladesh

Published: Friday, December 28, 2007, 14:09 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

More images

New Zealand wrapped up their one-day cricket series against Bangladesh here with three half-centuries paving the way for a comfortable win in a rain-shortened second match.

After posting an imposing 335 for five in their 50 overs, New Zealand had Bangladesh at 181 for six in the 43rd over when the rain set in, giving them a 102-run win under the Duckworth-Lewis system.

New Zealand now have an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the three-match series after they convincingly won the opening encounter on Wednesday by six wickets.

The New Zealand total was led by an impressive 83 off 93 balls from Peter Fulton.

Opener Jamie How chimed in with 74 and Jacob Oram blasted a rapid 55 off 31 balls as New Zealand chose to bat first and made light of the Bangladeshi bowling.

Bangladesh started their run chase at a strong five an over including 16 off the sole over from Mark Gillespie before he retired from the field with a shoulder injury.

But the scoring impetus slowed with the fall of Junaid Siddique's wicket in the 13th over.

In the space of the next 17 balls batsmen Tamim Iqbal (43) and Mohammad Ashraful (3) were back in the pavillion and Bangladesh were 68 for three.

Kyle Mills, who finished with four for 40 claimed the crucial wicket of Ashraful who had impressed with a rollicking 70 on Wednesday.

However, the Bangladesh captain was unlucky to be given out caught at ground level by Ross Taylor as television replays suggested the ball did not carry to the fieldsman.

Aftab Ahmed and Tushar Imran attempted to resurrect the innings with a 40-run partnership for the fourth wicket but the required run rate kept climbing and Bangladesh never again threatened to be competitive.

When Imran went leg before wicket to Daniel Vettori for 22, the tourists were four for 108 in the 28th over.

Ahmad soldiered on, surviving three chances in one over from Scott Styris -- including a catch by Brendon McCullum which umpire Peter Parker turned down, and a dropped catch by Jacob Oram -- before falling to Daniel Vettori for 54.

When Vettori won the toss and put Bangladesh in the field it was evident the New Zealand top order wanted time at the crease.

Brendon McCullum and Jamie How opened conservatively before picking up the pace.

McCullum was the first batsman to fall, run out by a direct hit from Tushar Imran for 35 in the 14th over with the score at 82. How and Fulton then put on 65 for the second wicket.

How, still looking for his maiden one day international century after falling for 88 in the first game, was lucky to survive a caught behind appeal when on 12.

He then went on to stroke a dozen boundaries to strengthen his claim for a recall in the New Zealand Test team to be named on Sunday.

Scott Styris joined Fulton to put on 83 for the third wicket before he was well caught by Tushar Imran off the bowling of Farhad Reza for 41.

When Fulton was caught behind by Mushfiqur Rahim off Abdur Razzak 17 runs later, with the score at 246, Ross Taylor and Jacob Oram then attacked the Bangladesh bowlers as they wilted over the final eight overs.

They put on 89 from 49 balls with Taylor not out 34 at the finish and Oram, who belted four fours and four sixes, out for 55 on the last ball of the innings.

For Bangladesh Abdur Razzak took two for 75 and Mushrafe Mortaza finished with one for 66.

The last match in the series is in Queenstown on Monday with the two-Test series starting in Dunedin on January 4.

Read more about: zealand, wrap, series, bangladesh
Write Comments