हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

CAB sees Dhoni's hand in Ganguly's exclusion

Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 3:35 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Kolkata: Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Prasun Mukherjee today said it was ODI skipper M S Dhoni who wanted Sourav Ganguly be dropped from the ODI squad for the upcoming Commonwealth Bank tri-series in Australia.

Talking to the media here, Prasun said, ''Today I talked to BCCI president Sharad Pawar. He said the official policy is that the board does not interfere with the selection process. He said he shared our concern and added that after talking to the people concerned he came to know that it was at the instance of the captain.''

''Pawar promised that he will take the matter up with the people concerned and express them our shock and disappointment," Prasun added.

He also expressed his shock and disappointment at the way he was dropped, for he was the only consistent player throughout the last year.

A ring of protests rang through the city after Sourav Ganguly, who earned Man-of-the-Series in the preceding series against Pak in home, was dropped.

''A captain selects a team to win, so I am sure there must be something going through the skipper's mind. But the fact is that Ganguly has been the most consistent player after his comeback. He is one of the most prolific run getters in the shorter version of the game too.''

"If Dhoni has really insisted on Sourav's exclusion, my first reaction would be Dhoni is not confident to play with more senior players around him. If there is any senior player around, it is difficult to dominate. It is his conjecture. He wants to form his own team and dominate his own team. I think Sourav's presence would have helped his team,'' Prasun opined.

Agencies

Write Comments