हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Australia advised to call-off Pakistan tour

Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 3:35 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi: Security experts have advised Cricket Australia (CA) against touring Pakistan next month, Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Nasim Ashraf said on Tuesday.

Ashraf told reporters he had received a letter from CA chairman Creagh O'Connor on Monday expressing concern about Australia's first tour to Pakistan in 10 years.

"In the letter they have reiterated their commitment to supporting us but at the same time they have said they have got security briefings advising them against playing in Pakistan at this time," Ashraf said.

Cricket Australia and some of the Australian players have expressed reservations about the three-Test tour because of the political uncertainty following the assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto on Dec. 27. And the reports of U-19 cricketer Rahamatullah being shot dead further reinforced CA's security concerns.

Ashraf said he had told Cricket Australia it should send a security delegation one week after the general elections on Feb 18 to assess the situation for itself.

He said he had told O'Connor that cricketers were safe in Pakistan and no touring team had been affected by the security environment in any series.

Agencies

Write Comments