Vincent's NZC contract was cancelled on Wednesday following his commitment to play in the ICL Twenty20 tournament.
''It was only last week we had it (the ICL offer) on the table, and I had no time to react,'' Vincent told Radio Sport today.
''The only way I could have made money this year, because I would have been unemployed in May, was to sign the contract and head myself to India,'' he added.
Yesterday, NZC chief Justin Vaughan had said, ''It (Vincent's deal) was done without seeking a release, he made no effort to go through the proper channels,'' said Vaughan.
''We stand by these contracts regardless of performance or injury and we expect players to do the same.'' However, NZC did not to take any legal action against Vincent for breaching the contract and instead decided to terminate his contract.
Vincent, 29, has featured in 23 Test matches for his country and scored 1332 runs at an average of 34.15 with three centuries including a highest score of 224 against Sri Lanka.
ICL's second edition will have ten New Zealand players which will last for six weeks.
Before Vincent, Chris Cairns, Daryl Tuffey, Chris Harris, Nathan Astle, Craig McMillan, Hamish Marshall, Shane Bond, Andre Adams and Adam Parore have already joined ICL at the expense of NZC contract.